Monday, April 26, 2010

Taming the Tongue

If I could only keep my mouth shut. That thought usually enters my mind after I have opened mouth and inserted foot…happens way too often. Since I can't add to the wisdom of the Word, I thought I'd just share a few nuggets of that wisdom for you to ponder…

…be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger… James 1:19

A gentle answer turns away anger, but a harsh word stirs up wrath. Proverbs 15:1

A fool's lips lead to strife, and his mouth provokes a beating. Proverbs 18:6

Even a fool is considered wise when he keeps silent, discerning, when he seals his lips. Proverbs 17:28

I had a history teacher, Mr. Benson, who would always say "silence is a virtue." I don't think I understood the depth of his words. I just thought he was telling a group of rowdy 9th graders to be quiet.

So, where is that virtue in our world today? When you see a person who is able to keep quiet in the face of trials and strife, isn't it a blessing? I think how I could be a blessing to others by passing this "virtue" forward. There is a time to speak, but I believe it is rarely out of anger. Once the angry words spill out it is like a cracked dam…more will follow.

You only have a split second to decide when the anger wells up inside you…will you blurt or will you bless?

1 comment:

  1. It is so funny, or not so funny, that I have been struggling with this lack of virtue that you're writing about. The more I think about my words, the more I realize I say things just to hear myself talk. There is no thought behind my words, only quick judgements and half hearted advice. I really feel that scripture memorization, especially of those you listed above, are helping me in this area. They always come to mind after I've opened my mouth. My goal now is adding adding more of a delay of the tongue so the scriptures will come to mind first rather than later. (Beth)

    ReplyDelete